Q. Who is Living Earth Uganda?
Living Earth Uganda is a natural resources and environmental management NGO that promotes awareness and skills creation in environmental management, to prompt communities and other stakeholders to translate the right ideas into action.
Q. For how long has Living Earth Uganda been operational?
In September 1999, Living Earth Foundation helped to establish Living Earth Uganda as an independent, registered, non-government organization. Since then, Living Earth Uganda has implemented poverty reduction strategies that incorporate the sustainable utilization of natural resources and the environment. Originally known as Living Earth Foundation Uganda, the name Living Earth Uganda (LEU) was officially registered in 2008.
Q. Does Living Earth Uganda work in urban communities only?
Living Earth Uganda is a project based organization which works in different target areas, both urban and rural usually determined by the project and objectives set out to be achieved.
Q. What activities is Living Earth Uganda engaged in?
Living Earth Uganda engages in several fields of capacity building among which include the following:
- Briquette (charcoal) making from biodegradable waste.
- Tailor made Energy saving stove for domestic as well as institutions
- Plastic waste collection, recycling and best practices of its management
- Making of compost manure
- Making of fireless cookers
- Sustainable backyard gardening
- Sustainable biogas
- Solar energy
- Mushroom growing
- Establishment of nursery beds for tree planting projects
- Management and organization development
- Financial planning & marketing
- Community sensitization and awareness campaigns in waste management
- Consultancy in environment & advisory services.
Q. Does Living Earth Uganda conduct functional trainings for anyone interested?
Living Earth Uganda provides functional trainings in various skills to all interested persons. For further details on training, please contact us.
Q. Who are Living Earth Uganda’s partners?
Living Earth Uganda works with partners both locally and internationally.
- UNDP, European Union, DFID, Comic Relief
- Government ministries of Finance, Planning & Economic Development and Local Government, Ministry of Education and Sports, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development and Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development
- National Environment Management Authority
- Local Government structures, formal and informal private sector organizations
- Other NGOs, community groups (CBOs)
- Individual entrepreneurs
Internationally, we work with the Living Earth Foundation Network that comprises partner countries including;
Living Earth Foundation-UK, Living Earth Cameroon (FCTV), ANPEZ (Living Earth Partner in Nigeria), partners in Sierra Leone, Mali, Alaska, Venezuela, Kenya, Ghana and Iran.
Q. What are projects is Living Earth currently implementing and where?
i) Emergency livelihood support through Cash for Work to 2,250 vulnerable households
in Arua and Moyo Districts,West Nile Sub region.
The main objective of this project is to Provide emergency livelihood support to 2,250 refugees and host community members in Palorinya refugee settlement, Moyo district, and Imvepi refugee settlement, Arua district, through Cash for Work activities.
ii) Jobs and Oil Project: Improving Access to youth and women employment;
Improving access to youth employment in Western Uganda through increasing employment opportunities, income and participation in decision making for women and youths in the context of an emerging oil economy in Hoima and Buliisa districts in Uganda.
Jobs and Oil project Is a three and half year’s project implemented by Living Earth Uganda (LEU) with support from European Union and DFID.
iii) Making Oil work for poor people in Uganda;
The project is also implemented in partnership with Living Earth Foundation UK and funded by Comic Relief. Itis focused specifically on developing eco-enterprises in rural communities that neighbor national parks, wildlife and forest reserves in Hoima, Buliisa and Masindi Districts in Western Uganda.
Period: 3 years July 2014 – June 2017
Q. How can I contact Living Earth Uganda?
We are located on: Plot 409, Canon Njuba Road, Nakulabye. Our postal address is P.O.Box 28694, Kampala, Uganda
Contact us on: Tel: +256 414 531246 | Fax: 00256-414 531863 | E-mail: [email protected] | Website: www.livingearthuganda.org